Thomas Doty – Storyteller
Scheduling & Staging
- Contact Thomas Doty to discuss dates, fees and other details.
- When an agreement is reached, Doty will send you a confirmation e-mail with an invoice attached as a print-friendly PDF. This will include details of your agreement.
- Pay Thomas Doty in person with a check, or online with a credit card or Paypal. Payment will be due on the day of Doty's program.
If you have a contract you would like Thomas Doty to sign, please include details you agreed on, ready for his signature. If you would like a signed digital copy, please send it via e-mail. If you would like a signed paper copy, send it to his P.O. Box.
Here's what works for a smooth storytelling experience....
- Host: Appoint a host to be in contact with Thomas Doty about scheduling and staging, to introduce Doty, and be present to monitor each performance.
- Quiet Space: Provide a space free of distractions and disruptions. Silence cell phones, land phones, pagers, watch alarms, school bells, walkie-talkies, and intercoms. For school performances, please post "Do Not Enter" signs at all entrances, and let staff know not to disrupt the programs. Here is an 8½" x 11" sign you can use: Print-Friendly PDF.
- Physical Space: Doty requires a minimum 10' x 10' empty space to perform in.
- Setting Up: In schools, Doty needs a minimum of 20 minutes to set-up and settle in. In theatres, please provide at least 45 minutes for set-up, lighting check, etc. Contact Thomas Doty to schedule an appropriate set-up time for your venue.
- School Programs: In addition to the other requirements on this page, here are specific requirements and limits for K-12 schools....
- Grades K-2: 30-45 minutes, maximum of 90 students. For K-only performances, maximum is 60 students.
- Grades 3-12: 45-60 minutes, maximum of 180 students.
- Grade Levels: Grouping similar grade levels together gives Doty more options in choosing the most appropriate stories for each group.
- Seating: For most school performances, please seat students on the floor, no aisle. In some spaces, chairs or theatre seating is fine. Please do not seat students on bleachers.
- Bathroom & Water Breaks: Make sure students have bathroom and water breaks before coming to Doty's performances. Except in an emergency, students and staff are expected to remain seated for the duration of each performance.
- Discipline: Allow Doty to handle discipline issues that may arise during a storytelling. If he needs your assistance, he will ask.
- Be Present: Teachers, be engaged audience members. Grading papers, messing with your phone, taking photos, chatting with colleagues, or walking through the performance space during a storytelling creates a poor role model for your students. It's distracting and lowers the quality of the storytelling experience for everyone. Relax. Sit with your students. Enjoy the stories. Doty will do the rest.
- Microphone: Thomas Doty rarely uses a microphone. In those few instances when one is needed -- usually a large venue with over 500 seats, or outdoors -- provide a wireless lapel mic with an appropriate sound system.
- Books & Audiobooks: If you have agreed to have Doty sell and sign books and audiobooks following the program, provide a table and chair for Doty's display.
- Special Needs: Contact Thomas Doty in advance of program date to make arrangements to accommodate audience members with special needs.
- Photos & Recordings: To maintain the integrity of the storytelling experience, refrain from taking photos and making video or audio recordings of Doty's performances unless prior arrangements have been made.