Thomas Doty – Storyteller
Scheduling & Staging
- Contact Thomas Doty to discuss dates, fees and other details.
- When an agreement is reached, Doty will send you a confirmation e-mail with an invoice attached as a print-friendly PDF. This will include details of your agreement.
- Pay Thomas Doty in person with a check, or online with a credit card or Paypal. Payment will be due on the day of Doty's program.
If you have a contract you would like Thomas Doty to sign, please include details you agreed on, ready for his signature. If you would like a signed digital copy, please send it via e-mail. If you would like a signed paper copy, send it to his P.O. Box.
For performances, workshops and classes, here's what works for a smooth storytelling experience....
- Host: Appoint a host to be in contact with Thomas Doty about scheduling and staging, to introduce Doty, and be present to monitor each program.
- Quiet Space: Provide a space free of distractions and disruptions. Silence cell phones, land phones, pagers, watch alarms, school bells, walkie-talkies, and intercoms. For school performances, please post "Do Not Enter" signs at all entrances, and let staff know not to disrupt the programs. Here is an 8½" x 11" sign you can use: Print-Friendly PDF.
- Physical Space: Doty requires a minimum 10' x 10' empty space to perform in. For elementary school performances, please seat students on the floor, no aisle. Workshops and classes require enough open space to accommodate movement activities. The "Reading the Rock Writings" workshop requires a blackboard or whiteboard.
- Setting Up: In schools, Doty needs a minimum of 20 minutes to set-up and settle in. In theatres, please provide at least 45 minutes for set-up, lighting check, etc. Contact Thomas Doty to schedule an appropriate set-up time for your venue.
- School Programs: Please do not exceed the following limits....
- Grades K-2: 30-45 minutes, maximum of 60 students.
- Grades 3-12: 45-60 minutes, maximum of 120 students.
- Workshops & Master Classes
- Stories & Songs: Grades K-2, 30-45 minutes, maximum of 30 students.
- The Importance of Stories: Grades 3-12, 45-60 minutes, maximum of 90 students.
- The Art of Storytelling - Basic Skills: Grades 3-12, 45-60 minutes, maximum of 30 students.
- The Art of Storytelling - Advanced Skills: Grades 6-12, 45-60 minutes, maximum of 30 students.
- Reading the Rock Writings: Grades 3-12, 60 minutes, maximum of 30 students.
- Microphone: Thomas Doty rarely uses a microphone. In those few instances when one is needed -- usually a large venue with over 500 seats, or outdoors -- provide a wireless lapel mic with an appropriate sound system.
- Books & Audiobooks: If you have agreed to have Doty sell and sign books and audiobooks following the program, provide a table and chair for Doty's display.
- Special Needs: Contact Thomas Doty in advance of program date to make arrangements to accommodate audience members and workshop participants with special needs.
- Photos & Recordings: To maintain the integrity of the storytelling experience, refrain from taking photos and making video or audio recordings of Doty's programs unless prior arrangements have been made.