Thomas Doty – Storyteller
For All Performance Venues
- Contact Thomas Doty to discuss set-up, seating, audience size, and other details.
- Please provide a quiet space free of distractions and disruptions. Doty requires a minimum 10' x 10' performance space.
- Ask audience members to silence their cell phones and put them away out of sight.
- To maintain the integrity of the storytelling experience and out of respect for the traditional stories, do not photograph, video or audio record Doty's performances. Photos are permitted during the question/answer time following a performance.
- Thomas Doty rarely uses a microphone. Contact Doty if you have questions. If a mic is needed, provide a wireless lapel mic. No headsets or mics on stands, please.
In addition to the requirements listed above, the following requirements apply to performances in schools....
- Audience Sizes
- Grades K-2: 15-40 students.
- Grades 3-12: 15-200 students.
- Performance Lengths
- Grades K-2: 20-40 minutes.
- Grades 3-12: 40-120 minutes.
- Appoint a host to introduce Thomas Doty, and remind students that there will be no breaks during the storytelling. Give students a bathroom and water break before coming to a performance.
- Seat students on the floor, on benches or in chairs. No bleachers, please.
- Close the storytelling room to other activities during Doty's performance. Post a "Do Not Enter" sign at each entrance to the storytelling room to ensure that Doty's performance will not be disrupted. Here's a sign you can use: Print-Friendly PDF.
- Allow Thomas Doty to handle discipline issues that may arise. These are extremely rare. If Doty needs help, he'll ask teachers for assistance.
- Teachers, leave cell phones, laptops, tablets, and any reading or grading work, back in the classroom. Sit with your students and enjoy the stories.